Homeless Awareness Day is Florida's premiere homeless event created to unify multiple communities under a theme of ending homelessness. Schools, churches, synagogues, government entities and non-profits come together to communicate that ending homelessness is solvable problem.
The event takes place in November each year and consists of nearly 75 different events and awareness programs. From a community-wide business breakfast, to school "Cardboard Brigades" to educational high school rallies, the community steps up to participate and/or create their own events that help raise awareness of solutions and raise the voices of the needy.
There are many ways to participate:
- Join more than 5,000 volunteers in Miami-Dade and launch your own event to remind the community about options to panhandling. This Tool Kit (.docx) gives you everything you need to know to get started. And look at how exciting these events can be!
- Host a school or community discussion on homelessness. The Trust has a curriculum we are happy to share.
- Offer your business or community organization access to Homeless Helpline cards. We can get a cardholder to you, along with cards that provide easy reference to our Helpline number.
- Call our organizing team and brainstorm programs that are tailor-made for your organization or school.
- Project Homeless Awareness
Join the Homeless Trust team in activating your school or community group on the issue of solving homelessness! We are grateful for the time you are taking to make a difference.
For more information, email HADmiami@gmail.com.
Here's a list of providers who appreciate the help of volunteers:
Volunteer Contact: Alessandra Laricchia
Phone: 305-374-1065 ext. 438.
Contact: Patrice Schwermer
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org / email@example.com
Chapman Partnership (South)
Contact: Sharon Haxton
Phone: (305) 416-7107
Contact: Mimi Pink
Miami Rescue Mission
New Hope CORPS
Phone: (305) 637-6700
Volunteers of America
Phone: (786) 369-1867
In addition, the he Miami-Dade County Homeless Trust is partners with Neighbors 4 Neighbors volunteer matching website Helping Feels Good to connect volunteers with homeless needs. Want to mentor a student? Read to a toddler in a shelter? Paint a building? Rent an apartment unit to someone looking to make a fresh start? Donate items? We will get you started. Take just five minutes to fill out a form stating that your interest is in helping the homeless. Then we will connect you immediately to homeless-related needs and projects.Back to Top Page Last Edited: Wed Nov 7, 2018 11:18:36 AM
You are now leaving the official website of Miami-Dade County government. Please be aware that when you exit this site, you are no longer protected by our privacy or security policies. Miami-Dade County is not responsible for the content provided on linked sites. The provision of links to these external sites does not constitute an endorsement.
Please click 'OK' to be sent to the new site, or Click 'Cancel' to go back.